Fairy Tales for Today

Neil Gaiman is a prolific writer of fantasy and folklore and myth-inspired fiction and comics

Neil Gaiman’s poem speaks to the kind of rules that we understand to exist when it comes to the world of the fairy tale.

But, Fairy Tales are constantly changing and evolving. In this module, we will be looking at some of those shifts and how the stories have changed for the modern-day and for different ages.

As part of your assignment, you are finding one variation that is for Middle Grade, Young Adult, or an Adult reader/audience and you will be using it for your third presentation and your annotated bibliography. We’ve talked in class a bit about what each of these publication distinctions mean, but this article and two videos will add more details to the evolution of these genres.

Read: https://journeytokidlit.com/age-levels-for-childrens-books/

Is there anything that surprises you about these distinctions? (Respond Below)

16 thoughts on “Fairy Tales for Today

1. no ,nothing surprised me about these distinctions.children’s for this generation are smarter and more intelligent than our ancestors, while my grandmother disagree with this idea. technology help shaping our idea of the world by giving us skill of swiftness, convenient access to information. our grandparents spent their free times reading books, young teenagers actually prefer ebooks then print book.young generation are surrounded by tablets, smart phones and computers in a closed room.These gadgets, in contrast with book which requires much imagination to build a world from text

2. As we know, storytelling began with visual stories; then, they turned into oral tradition. Then there was a shift to words formed into tales that included written, typed, and printed stories. Moreover, new technology like social media, computers, cameras, and the internet changed how we listen to, see, and share our stories.
    After watching these videos, I realized that there is a complex world between childhood and adulthood. one of the distinctions that surprised me was that the journey in a middle grade is more about self-discovery while the journey in a young adult is more about learning how they interact with their environment.

3. There was nothing that surprise me from these videos bu, I do agree that children are reading more now than before. that’s because they have easy access do to technology you can download a book for free or order ebooks. With my generation and my children’s need to go to the library or order them from a catalog. I used to watch my kids read all the time and how they change their genre depending on how old they were and how those fairy tales shape their thinking.

4. the most common distinction between middle adult books and young adult books was the thing that surprised me the most. I don’t think I ever realized the reason why books or even movies and shows would show people slightly older than the ones they are trying to target. Nonetheless it did attract me, I always wondered why the books always had characters who are nearly ready to graduate. I might have not enjoyed it as much if the characters were my age or younger because I wouldn’t feel like I’m learning any kind of lesson, because I already passed those years

5. One thing that surprised me was the large amount of difference between the content and length of books geared towards young adults vs. middle graders. In my mind, I guess I have always conflated the two, but there is most certainly a difference in how graphic the content is between a book like Coraline vs The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. It was also very interesting to learn about the history of the young adult genre and the role that female librarians at the NYPL played in creating that title!

6. I was surprised to know that literature for young adults didn’t exist before the 19ths century and I felt proud when I realized a female librarian in New York introduced the terminology for young adults. Certainly, nowadays technology offers children easier access to literature and they can read, hear or watch many fairy tales stories. However, before children use to learn from oral tradition. Storytime was a time where the family gathered together and talk to each other. now day families barely spend time together.

7. Nothing really surprised me generation to generation has evolved. In children’s literature back then reading orally was suggested as well as using the library to read books and having parents read with children. Now not only with young adults has literature expanded but also in middle grad as where the use of technology is more often used to read and share stories. The history of young adults has caught my attention as female librarians from the NPL were the ones to play in creating that title.

8. Nothing really surprised me about these distinctions. I agree that in young adult novels, more things can be talked about without its content but for stories meant for younger audience is that it is not as explicit or dark. I do find it interesting that people prefer to read about those who are older. It makes sense because you can use it to relate or base it on your own life and learn from books. It is also not surprising that some books such as Harry Potter can be appealing to the younger and adult audiences.

9. Nothing really surprised me about these distinctions because children and young adults in this generation are reading a lot more than the previous generations because there is a lot to offer that suits their age group. Also, they have internet access that allows them to buy any book online or even going to the book store and having so many options to choose from. Literature has evolved and so it allows people of all ages to have books that are enjoyable to read. Back in the day children were told stories by adults but now anyone can pick up a book and dive into a fantastic story.

10. One thing that surprised me the most was the difference between middle adult books and young adult books. I never noticed that the books involve characters who are older than the targeted age group, like Twilight or similar novels. I guess as a reader it is more interesting to read a plot line that involves someone who is older. I was also surprised to hear that people under 30 read more, because I thought my 2000 pals are not reading as much as people who were maybe born in late 80’s late 90’s.

11. Something that was really interesting was the difference between middle grade and young adult literature. It was interesting to see how the characters in the books would be a bit older than the targeted age group. When I was younger, I never thought about it back then, but after watching the video, I am reflecting on it now. I realize that I was in fact much more interested in reading about characters slightly older than myself. I think that I was looking forward to reaching that age soon, and learning more about characters that age.

12. What I found interesting was the distinctions between young adult and middle adult books, as differences that are found within these stories are content and length. Additionally, how easy it is for children to access books in this century as technology has been readily available at all times helps kids want to read more as they have access to everything at their fingertips. Compared to children a few years prior before technology was as advanced and the only way to ready was to go to a local library or rent it from school or borrow from a family member or friend.

13. I did find it interesting the difference in young adult books and middle grade books. I never thought about how book for those groups both are books that talk or illustrate a main character or main characters that are a little older the reader.

14. I wasn’t much surprised because our ancestors didn’t have access to technology as we do have and generations after us will have a lot more than us. Our ancestors read books while teens these days use technology to read ebooks and a lot of other resources too. our ancestors read news to keep up with whats going on and our generations uses other sources of media.

15. No I don’t believe it was surprising, I just hadn’t realized the distinctions between middle and young adults when it came to target audience. The main characters should be a bit older, makes sense when I was into movies and books, I’ve always wanted to read the life of someone older. I also think it’s awesome how children are more exposed into literature because of the technology advancements.

16. No the distinction between the two did not come off as very surprising, being that the age groups that go with those genres are easy to understanding when it comes to desired and appealing content. Being that the critical development points of 8 and 10 year old’s is different from those who are well into puberty the content separation is totally understandable.