Middle Grade Fairy Tales

Read a short taste of the book (outside link)

Below are some other recent examples of books based on fairy tales for middle grade audiences.

Liesl Shurtliff

“Fairly True” Books by Liesl Shurtliff

Sarah Mlynowski

Whatever After Series

Stack of Whatever After books

Michael Buckley

Sisters Grimm: The Fairy Tale Detectives

There are also many writers creating new fairy tales – stories with a fairy tale feeling that have some of the same tropes and themes even as they might use new characters and situations.

What trends have you noticed in these books for young audiences? (Please Comment)

17 thoughts on “Middle Grade Fairy Tales

1. Nowadays young generation take reading more seriously, they are reading more words than they ever have in the past. they spend lot of time reading lot of novels like Harry Potter, “The Lord of the Rings,” “The Hunger Games,” and other fantasy and fictions.

1. Hi Nayely,
      I agree with your point that the younger generation likes to read more. This can be because they have access to reading more easily with technology. These fantasy novels as you have mentioned are super appealing because they allow the reader to get creative and engage with the stories.

2. There has been a rise in popular classic fairy tales that have been revised into a novel form in today’s literature. These updated and new fairy tales involve new settings, new characters, and fuller plots. I noticed that modern trends include series books, just like The Sisters Grimm book, in which various books follow the same characters in the same world. The series book encourages young readers to keep reading. Additional trends include fantasy, recreating classics, kindness, and realistic fiction. In order to increase literature in young audiences, popular books include shore chapters, pictures, more powerful words, and themes that correlate with the appropriate age group these books were made for.

1. Hi Maayan,
      I also think that different plots encourages children to read and pictures are very attractive when it comes to a book. Certainly you call tell a lot out of a image.
      I think that when the stories change a bit from the original version it makes the story more interesting and fun.

3. Just like I stated previously nowadays there is more plot on the new fairy tales fewer pictures and more words children now love to learn new words and are eager readers. that’s why fairy tales have sequences because children want more than just the happy ever after.

4. the similar trend is a twist on original stories, it makes sense because at the point when they want to read these books they’ve already heard the originals probably over a million times. These are the future, the what comes next or just a twist like the “whatever after” where a girl comes in and thinks she’s fixing everything but it actually makes it worse. It answers the question “what if?”

5. A similarity that I immediately noticed between all of the fairy tale versions seen above is that they all feature siblings who fall into classic, almost cartoonish, sibling dynamics and tropes. Jack begrudgingly has to bring his little sister along with him in Jack The true Story of Jack and the Beanstalk, Alex is snarky and sarcastic to her twin in The Land of Stories, and one sister is parentalized and the other infantilized in The Sisters Grim. They also all have some kind of comical or whimsical framing device which thrusts our protagonists into the world of magic and fantasy be that ending up in your grandparent’s book or having to fight fairy tale crime.

6. Those stories whose theme is about time traveling to the past and adventuring in the magical word or a special period of time are really appealing as these stories enable children to experience a rather different world. Reading these fairy tales will relax children as those magical stories may cater to their interest. As we all know, most kids may be not in favor of reading as the stories selected by adults are always long and dull for them. To a kid, if the theme fails to attract them, they will by no means continue their reading. Secondly, these stories help kids to develop and promote their reading abilities. Although these stories are not literature, they are still written materials which can assist in developing kids’ reading habits.

1. I definitely agree with you many of these stories adventure to the past and travel into the magical world. It gives children a different sense of the world and expands their imagination. As right many children will say “I hate reading, it’s boring” but as educators and parents that we might be we have to find a way children can like books whether its through fairy tales, non-fiction, history or just fiction books. There is has to be something that interests them and leads them to want to open a book and explore it.

7. The trends that I have noticed in these books for young audiences are being in an adventure and the use of magic. These books take children out of their normal lives into a magical adventure. Most children at that age are intrigued with crazy adventures and superpowers which makes these books so popular with them. These stories encourages them to keep reading similar books with the same themes which will help improve their reading skills and get them off distracting things like playing video games all day. these stories also help them become creative and can improve their writing skills.

8. These “new” fairytales are pretty much like a spin off the original one. We saw movies and shows having a reboot, why should’t fairytales especially when so many people are familiar with the original plot. Some may even like the spin offs with new characters, new plot and setting of the story. Kids may want to continue reading if there is more than one book/ story out about their favorite character, I know I would of loved that as a kid.

9. The trends that I noticed in these books for young audiences is that they all involve action and adventure. They also are based on old fairy tales (for example the Grimm brothers) but have a twist to them, like an added plot, are more comical etc. Overall, the same element remains, this out worldly, magical world/ sequence of events that take place throughout the book.

10. I have noticed that the younger audiences are more interested in reading longer stories with more content within them, as they seem to get bored of the basic stories that may be for their age level. For example, stories may come with fewer pictures now because of the younger audience being more engaged with books that don’t have a picture for every page.

1. I completely agree with you Huda, I think the new twist are very comical, new and makes the audience excited to keep reading or listening. Since we have access to so many different tech programs, authors have more freedom when it comes to illustrations and creating a story more enjoyable to the new generation.

11. I think that these “modern” spin off’s of older stories have more content or a little more complex thus more interesting and engaging for students now. Tech accessibility has also been a huge part in why students ready more. They can have access to millions of book on one device.

12. What is very important seemingly s is the gateway to expansion of detail and action within the stories. The younger population is at many points where they crave knowledge and personality. These stories for this population seem to be very action filled, not many basic soft content filled stories do well at making them connect with themselves and the world.

13. I have to agree with Joseph. All of the titles that were featured above have to do with siblings that seem to be cartoons rather than real life people. They also seem to follow the theme of fictional events. Children often seem to gear towards these types of stories because they are mostly magical which kids are into. As for the technology, children seem to read more than they did years ago considering there are many ways of reading nowadays. There are e0books, nook tablets, YouTube read-a-louds and audio books.