More Traditional Little Red Riding Hoods

John Everett Millais,Painting of the artist’s daughter Effie as Little Red Riding Hood, 1864.

Please read the following Little Red Riding Hoods:

1. “Little Red Cap” – Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm – 1812 (First collection)
  2. “Little Red Hat” an Italian/Austrian Little Red Riding Hood – collected by Christian Schneller, 1867
  3. “The Grandmother” – a French version – collected by Achille Millien in 1870
  4. “The True History of Little Golden Cap” -Charles Marelle, by way of Andrew Lang’s Red Fairy Book, 1895
Roodkapje, Illustration published in 1868 Dutch edition of Little Red Riding Hood, courtesy of Koninklijke Bibliotheek

5. Little Red Riding Hood – part of Father Tuck’s Dolly Dear series by the publisher Raphael Tuck & Sons, 1900. Courtesy of the Boston Public Library (Jordan Collection)/Archive.org.

What did you think of these variations? The theme of “stranger danger” is frequently associated with this story, but do you see any other themes emerging? Comment below.

17 thoughts on “More Traditional Little Red Riding Hoods

1. Each of these versions is a little different than the other, but the basic story structure remains the same in all of them.The moral in Perrault story is weaker, because it ends in tragedy with Little Red being eaten and dying. In the Grimm story, because the forester comes to their rescue, Little Red learns from her mistakes. She knows not to wander off the path when going to her grandmother house, and she learns that talking to strangers can lead to trouble.many child reading this story may not realize the relation between a wolf eating the little girl and talking to strangers, because it is written as a fairy tale.

2. Each of the stories is a little different buy, with the same concept for me is still have the same meaning 5and the structure remains the same. All of them have the basic elements that are the character, the setting, the plot, and some of them the resolution. The one that I know and remember clearly is the one the wolf eats little red riding hood.

3. While the basic story is the same in all these versions, the one that I found to be interesting is the one by Charles Marelles. It has a magical element to the story in regards to the red hood. Also little red riding hood does not get eaten rather, she learns her lesson and even gets in trouble by her mom. This is a realistic reaction as any child who speaks to a stranger would be scolded and told by their parents that it is dangerous.

4. After reading the 6 most traditional variations of Little Red Riding Hood, it can be concluded that the ideas and concept are all the same and the only difference is the ending. Father Tucks version is very unique as It was the first time reading about the wolf being sent to a zoo instead and if a child reads it, it is not as scary as the the one when the wolf eats the child. Additionally, the little red riding hoods by the multiple authors have various names that are similar but also different in their own ways.

5. The plot beats and narrative structure are mostly the same between all versions of the story with a large amount of variation between the endings. Details such as who eats/attempts to eat the grandmother and little red riding hood change based on fairy tale villains from the country of origin of the version. The variations in the ending may reflect more broadly on the values held by the groups of people who wrote them or more narrowly on how the author believes the story should have been told. Some of the themes that I noticed were how it is bad to waste time (collecting flowers or needles off of the path), how it is important to listen and be obedient to one’s parents, and how it is important to stay on the path set out for you and not wonder astray from it.

6. These variations are similar and different from each other.
    These stories have a similar moral at the end, each with a slight twist. The common elements in the stories are the wolf, Little Red Riding Hood, her mother, and her grandmother. The way women are treated within each story is different. In the Little Red Hot version, the young girl was eaten, whereas, in the German version, she is rescued by the woodsman, which further highlights the cultural differences. There are numerous themes in the story of Little Red Riding Hood. The main themes associated with the tale Little Red Riding Hood are the importance of obeying what your parents tell you to do, the sense of being careful with strangers, always try to stay on the right path and do not wander from it, and the reliability of one’s internal early warning system.

7. The elements, dialogs, settings and characters are very different in each story, therefore the moral might be different in each story. For example, the Italian version the ogre always is saying “eat and keep quiet”. In other words don’t makes questions. What I see in this story is a cultural portrait, where children don’t questioned the authority of adults. In other words, just obey.
    Another interesting thing about these stories, was the endings. Personally, I think in some situations you can be safe from “wolfs”, but chances are that you will not.

8. the story is always essentially the same, It’s the tiny details leading to the ending as well as the ending that changed, some of them remind me of the movies and stories I’m more used to and I feel like I’ve personally imagined a bunch of different endings and alternate parts to the story and I was able to see a lot of that in these stories, I think my favorite one might actually be the first one, although it seems fairly gruesome, and might scare some of the more younger kids it teaches a good lesson like the boy who cried wolf.

9. The sending of these stories is all kind of different from what I listened to. The stories were somewhat the same but the ending was changed. the one I have grown up reading was the one where at the end the hunter would come, kill the wolf and free her and her grandma. but it’s nice to read all these different stories with different endings.

10. After reading these stories, it was really interesting to see how many different endings are there and there’s probably so much more. The beginning of the stories seem to have the same concept but grainy starts to change throughout the story, This happens a lot in many different stories, movies with different endings, books too. I seem to always gravitate to the most messed up ending or craziest ones than the boring happy ones haha.

11. Majority if not all have the same bases, Little red riding hood is on her way to her grandmothers when she meets the wolf. What changes is what happens when she arrives. But the theme of stranger danger definitely is there. It was my first time reading some of these variations

12. The variations of this story have been really interesting. I particularly found “The Grandmother” and “little red hat” to be unpleasant because of the cannibalism and disturbing details of the grandmother’s body parts. For the most part, in these variations the main differences lie in the endings, however, the theme/ moral of the story remains the same. Don’t talk to strangers.

13. Each version of this story is the same but yet so different. The one that really stood out to me the most was “The Grandmother” due to how dark it was. With all the cannibalism and graphic details within the story. Although it was different from the child friendly one, the theme of the story remained the same

14. Each of these variations were different and made this tale unique and great in their own ways. They mainly all had the same idea and structure, the girl goes into the woods and meets an unfriendly creature who brings harm to her and her grandma. The biggest difference that can be spotted out was how the characters overcome this issue and the finer details of the story. Each story had different foods based on which region the story was being told from which I found pretty cool. Italy had an ogre, France had a werewolf, the little golden hood had a wolf but with witches, etc.. Some tales ended in the creature eating both ‘little red’ and her grandma and they actually survive. Other tales ended in them being eaten and that was the end of it. Little Red Cap and Little Red Hat both surprised me with how graphic and gruesome the killings were. I definitely did not expect the stories to turn into little red becoming basically a cannibal and having to eat her grandmother.
    There were a few different themes that came to mind other than stranger danger.
    1. always listen to your mother/parent.
    2. question things when they don’t seem right.
    3. always stay on the right path.

15. Each variation of this fairy tale was different but had the same message which was don’t talk to strangers. I found the Grimm Bothers story very interesting because after being saved by the foster the Little Red Riding Hood learns not to talk to strangers. This may teach children that stranger danger is real and not everyone is as nice as they seem out to be. The Grandmother version was very very very disturbing to read because it spoke about cannibalism and the grandmothers dying corpse. Even while being very disturbing, this story still had the same message of not talking to strangers.

16. All the versions I read reveal the same message which is to not talk to strangers. Some stories left us with a message of always taking the right path and listening to our caregiver (parents). These stories depict all the messages named above but can be hard for children to reveal the message unless they pay close attention to the details. I enjoy reading these books because they are part of fairy tales but in an interesting and children-detailed form of way.

17. These variations of the story paint a bit f a picture that “stranger Danger” can end in so many different ways. Even in the children’s story, some versions did allow for a happy ending and just went with the wolf preparing to finish the little red riding hood off. Yet some allow for an outside aide, which in real life can also happen, so this allowed for a great creative twist for some of the authors. Allowing for a possibility for the grandma to be taen out after he cut open the wolf, shows a great amount of effort from another human being, unlike the Grim version where there is no room to be saved only eaten.