Please read the following Little Red Riding Hoods:
- “Little Red Cap” – Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm – 1812 (First collection)
- “Little Red Hat” an Italian/Austrian Little Red Riding Hood – collected by Christian Schneller, 1867
- “The Grandmother” – a French version – collected by Achille Millien in 1870
- “The True History of Little Golden Cap” -Charles Marelle, by way of Andrew Lang’s Red Fairy Book, 1895
5. Little Red Riding Hood – part of Father Tuck’s Dolly Dear series by the publisher Raphael Tuck & Sons, 1900. Courtesy of the Boston Public Library (Jordan Collection)/Archive.org.
What did you think of these variations? The theme of “stranger danger” is frequently associated with this story, but do you see any other themes emerging? Comment below.