Peter Pan – The Texts

Please read the play first.

Read Chapters 1-3 and the final chapter, 17 of the 1911 novelization created by J.M.Barrie.

You can also download the book at Project Gutenberg.

If you choose you can listen to the novelization

You may also be interested in looking at the optional “Peter Pan in Kensington Garden”, the story in which Peter first appeared. The edition linked here includes illustrations from Arthur Rackham, who we encountered earlier this semester, and offers a very different perspective of the character.

As you read these texts, choose a quote that you have a strong response to and post it below.

16 thoughts on “Peter Pan – The Texts

1. ” until Wendy came her mother was the chief one. She was a lovely lady, with a romantic mind and such a sweet mocking mouth. Her romantic mind was like the tiny boxes, one within the other, that come from the puzzling East, however many you discover there is always one more; and her sweet mocking mouth had one kiss on it that Wendy could never get, though there it was, perfectly conspicuous in the right-hand corner.”
    I see this quote at something Sexual,Sexuality has always been looked at as a grown up idea and one never really considers the effect that sexuality has forcing one to grow up.

2. The quote that I picked is “What does she say, Peter?” He had to translate. “She is not very polite. She says you are a great ugly girl, and that she is my fairy… ‘You silly ass,’ and disappeared into the bathroom.” The reason this stuck out to me is because I find it interesting to hear the conversation between the two females. It is evident that Tinkerbell is jealous over the attention Wendy is getting from Peter which weakens a sense of sisterhood between the two women.

1. Zoha I chose this quote as well! The way that it stood out to me was similar to yours. I found it interesting having Wendy and Tinkerbell have a little conversation and not really getting along since Wendy was getting most out of Peter’s attention instead of herself. Which I found kinda odd considering Tinker Bell was originally with Peter first, she was always with Peter since she’s his little fairy before Wendy and her brothers even came along. I just remember as a kid when Tinkerbell gets mad or upset, she puts her little legs, arms and wings together angrily as pixie dust shimmers off of her

3. The quote that I chose is’ I won’t take a bath I won’t I won’t’…. that’s what Michael when the nanny dog named Nana carried him in her back that was what was going on when Mrs. Darling walked into the nursery with her evening gown and the pretty necklace Mr. Darling got her . The reason why I like this quote is that it is so realistic at the way children be acting clearly we can see actual events of everyday life going on here.

4. For almost the only time in his life that I know of, Peter was afraid. ‘Don’t turn up the light,’ he cried. She let her hands play in the hair of the tragic boy. She was not a little girl heart-broken about him; she was a grown woman smiling at it all” this quote stuck with me because it was heartbreaking that peter pan chose to stay young forever and with that he lost a possible home and family, when he returned after not coming back for so long, I guess he lost track of time and now Wendy is too old to go with peter pan. I just didn’t understand why he would need a “mother” if he didn’t even want a family.

5. The quote that I chose is when John asked Peter how he can fly? “I say, how do you do it?’ asked John, rubbing his knee. He was quite a practical boy.
    “You just think lovely wonderful thoughts,” Peter explained, “and they lift you up in the
    Air.’ (54) This quote is meaningful because many times people are overwhelmed by negative thoughts, problems, envy, and many other negativeness. When we think positively everything works better, we feel better and free.

6. “But as Peter sat by the shore tootling divinely on his pipe he sometimes fell into sad thoughts, and then the music became sad also, and the reason of all this sadness was that he could not reach the Gardens, though he could see them through the arch of the bridge. He knew he could never be a real human again, and scarcely wanted to be one, but oh! how he longed to play as other children play, and of course there is no such lovely place to play in as the Gardens. The birds brought him news of how boys and girls play, and wistful tears started in Peter’s eyes.”

In this section of chapter two, the reader can see that here is the first instance where Peter Pan realizes that he will never be a real boy. He’s a boy, yes, but he is trapped and he longs to play in the garden. The garden is symbolic here because gardens are full of living things, flowers that bloom, children who play. From outside the garden, Peter has his own games but there is a real tone of loneliness and longing as he looks past the arch. He sees other children doing what he himself cannot do. Does this mean that Peter is in some kind of middle world? Is he even alive?

7. “I say, Peter, can you really fly?” Instead of troubling to answer him Peter flew around the room, taking the mantelpiece on the way.
    “How topping!” said John and Michael.
    “How sweet!” cried Wendy.
    “Yes, I’m sweet, oh, I am sweet!” said Peter, forgetting his manners again.”

This quote shows how confident Peter Pan is of himself because he was able to show the children that he can fly. He seems too full of himself with that fact saying that he is sweet and forgetting his manners to say thank you.

1. i also chose the same quote and I agree with what you had to say because it shows confident he was and I feel like everyone should be like him and everyone should have that confidence to conquer any situation without hesitation.

8. “The dream by itself would have been a trifle, but while she was dreaming the window of the nursery blew open, and a boy did drop on the floor. ”
    I chose this quote because it goes to show that Peter Pan become more than just a dream or thought.

9. “Even Michael, already half asleep, knew that she was perturbed, and he asked, “can anything harm us, mother, after the Night Lights are lit?”
    “Nothing, precious “, she said; “they are the eyes a mother leaves behind her to guard her children”

This quote stood out because it demonstrates the innocence of children and the safety they feel around their parents. In the story, Peter Pan never wants to grow up, and wants to be young forever. It also shows the love and care the mother has for her children, and peter pan doesn’t have a mother. With her nurturing nature, Wendy helps take on this mother-like role as they go on their adventure.

10. This is the quote that stood out for me
    “He was accompanied by a strange light, no bigger than your fist, which darted about the room like a living thing, and I think it must have been this light that wakened Mrs. Darling”.

This quote uses similarities to describe what is that had awakened Mrs. Darling. I love to hear similarities, especially in Peter Pan. Makes the reading more interesting like if it was reality.

11. A quote that I had a strong response to is:

“What’s your name?’ he asked.
    “Wendy Moira Angela Darling,” she replied with some satisfaction, “What is your name ?’
    “Peter Pan.”
    She was already sure that he must be Peter, but it did seem a comparatively short name.
    “Is that all?”
    “Yes,” he said rather sharply. He felt for the first time that it was a shortish name.
    “I’m so sorry,” said Wendy Moira Angela.
    “It doesn’t matter,” Peter gulped.
    She asked where he lived.
    “Second to the right,” said Peter, “and then straight on till morning. ”
    “What a funny address!’
    Peter had a sinking. For the first time he felt that perhaps it was a funny address.
    “No, it isn’t,” he said.

I believe that this quote sets the stage for the rest of the book, as well as who the characters of Peter and Wendy are.

12. “ In the old days at home the Neverland had always begun to look a little dark and threaten- ing by bedtime. Then unexplored patches arose in it and spread, black shadows moved about in them, the roar of the beasts of prey was quite different now, and above all, you lost the certainty that you would win. You were quite glad that the night-lights were in. You even liked Nana to say that this was just the mantelpiece over here, and that the Neverland was all make-believe“ I picked this quote because it reminds me of how never land started to look scary and needed to be reminded it was all make believe.

13. “Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.” I chose this quote because it truly does mirror the reality of my life. There are so many tings that are stopped because of mental barriers we place on ourselves. We don’t let our spirit loose to go catch the dreams that are plausible.